Thursday, October 29, 2009

Dresses and Dates! Egads!

Well, this last weekend/early week I went to Nebraska!

We decided to get things started with the Wedding process. Well, at least initial lookings and dress stuff. Its a good thing we did, too! Its amazing how many people want to get married on October 2nd of next year! All the places are really booked. So far the only place we've found for that date is Valentino's. So, we might move it to October 9th. (we'll know in a few days or so) The Holiday Inn and Country Inn are not booked those two days, and mom is going to go and talk to them and take pictures. The Holiday is the best deal, really, and if I had to choose I will probably choose that one.. but it involves changing the date. Blah. At least we dont have it defined and anything yet!

We tried on dresses this weekend. Mostly on Saturday after munching Fazoli's with Randi and the fam. (Which was really fun, and my grandma LOVED Moose!) We did David's Bridal on Saturday, and then J'Maries on Monday. (We tried two other places but they were expensive or not the best service anyway) David's Bridal was SO FUN. Mallory and I were trying on dresses for the bridesmaid and bride. She was also helping me into my dresses. That was amusing and I seen much of her armpits. My grandma was commenting on the other dresses and she didnt like them.. which was halarious. She'd go.. "Oh that one is even worse!" to mom when some other lady would come out. We ended up finding two dresses there, and then at J'Maries we had found one dress. The one we picked was super awesome, and I think my audience will be suprised to see me in it! The bridesmaid dress is very nice as well!

I was very happy to see my Grandma in a more normal state. If you didnt know. A few years ago she was diagnosed with dementia. About two months ago, she couldnt remember moms name, thought she was still a little girl, was pretty incoherent on the phone, and that four men lived in her attic, so mom finally decided that she couldnt live alone anymore. We were all dreading that day, because we were afraid Grandma would basically disown mom and hate her for it. (which she had cutoff contact with her children before when I was younger, so thats why we were worried!) Well, two months later, Grandma doesnt hate mom, she remembers moms name and that shes not a kid anymore, and she recognizes Mallory and I as her grandchildren. Though, she cannot remember our names. (She sang Happy Birthday over my shoulder and she paused at my name, but remembered the song, hehe) She's gaining weight now that she is eating much better, getting around really well for someone who's bones are so brittle that she had cracked her back at home by just getting up and down from her chair. Also, she went EVERYWHERE with us. And kept up with us without falling asleep or complaining... two months ago, you could barely get her to leave her house unless they were going to Apple Barrel (her favorite restaraunt). We took her to the bridal fair on Sunday in her wheelchair, and she loved it as well. So did I, but I loved that she was having so much fun watching all this new stuff going on around her. She even has started being her onery self again and cracking jokes.

Which, now that Grandma is living with mom and dad.. means that they had to build another room in the basement for the computer and for when we visit! So I have my own room in the basement that dad is building. I tried to convince mom and dad to put spongebob wallpaper up, but sadly, they wont. They did try to find a light switch cover in Spongebob but had no luck. Sad. I guess I get a poster instead.

I guess thats my sort of update! I got in at 2 AM central time today, and was super tired from sitting on a plane deicing in Denver and being delayed in Omaha. But I was thankful for the extra time there that I had with mom and Grandma. Oh, and mom didnt get too lost going home. Only one wrong turn.

3 comments:

S Club Mama said...

Did you just publish this or did I totally miss it?

Tristan had so much fun with your grandma! I had fun getting out of the house!

jfrank said...

Yeah what randi said!! is this a month old post you forgot to post?? Glad things are coming along for your wedding!!

Rion said...

I swear I posted it!!! I was wondering why noone commented. o.O