Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Dun dun dun.. The diet!

So, David and I agreed that we should go on a diet. This diet is called the Body for Life diet. Its actually more of a portion control/exercise diet.. one that I can at least attempt. He normally does like Atkins and I can NOT eat that much meat.. I do not like chicken much unless its got breading.. which is a nono in that diet.

Well this diet is a low fat diet.. so I had a ham sandwich with wheat bread, and fat free kraft cheese (Which amazingly, tastes pretty much just like regular cheese), and carrot sticks. I love carrots so thats easy enough for me. We got the Sara Lee Soft and Smooth wheat bread.. and its not bad at all. Its not grainy like regular wheat bread.. Its not as soft as white, but WAY better than the wheat stuff.. and just as good for you. Its a buck more than regular wheat though, so we have to spend a little more that way. For supper, we're having a portion controlled pasta with meat (93% lean) sauce. Once again, the meat is pricier, but if we're eating less, its not too big of a deal, and its $2.98/lb at Sams Club.. so its not bad at all.

Everything I asked David when we went through the store, I can eat! I was wanting pickles, and I was wanting my vanilla yogurt.. well, I was able to get both! I cant eat them at the same time, of course, but I wanted something tasty as the 'afternoon snacks' and those were the first two things that came to mind!

Now, the reason we arent so restricted on eating? The workout. I tell you.. its TOUGH. Its a 6 day schedule, 20 minutes a day.. alternating between aerobic and weights. Today we did our first aerobic day. We went to the gym and we got all set.. In this track, 18 laps = 1 mile. So we were like, ok.. 2 laps walking, 1 lap brisk walk, 4 laps jogging, 2 laps running, and then repeat.. four times. Well.. we didnt make it four times, haha. We ended up half modifying it mid route because we were dying halfway through. So we ended up doing total: 2 walk, 1 brisk, 4 jog, 2 run, 1 brisk, 2 jog, 1 brisk, 1 jog, 1 run, 2 brisk, 1 jog, 1 all out run, 1 walk.. Total of 20 laps.. so we DID get over a mile in.. I was so dizzy, so tired, and my chest and arms ached more than my legs after we were done. In fact, an hour later, my heart is still pumping in overdrive. David did a lot better than I did.. he has done this diet before and is more used to longer range running.. where for me.. the last time I did a workout run like that was in 9th grade track. Haha.

Our bodies will get used to it eventually though, and I wont die after all. Though after today, I thought I would die. Weight lifting upper body with my weak arms is gunna seem so easy compared to today!!

2 comments:

S Club Mama said...

doesn't sound so bad for a diet. I'll probably start my Slim Fast diet here soon...that's what I did after Tristan was born, too.

I need to find a double stroller before I start walking...or wait until this little guy can hold his head up better to put him in our Snugglie.

S Club Mama said...

Thanks, Ryan!!! Glad to know you're still kicking...you should update your blog more. :P